Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Moon in California

There's a Chinese saying goes, ' The moon is rounder in foreign countries.'

There's a Malay saying goes, 'There are golden rains in foreign countries.'

I had doubts towards the sayings before I came here. Now, I think that maybe in some points, the sayings are right.

In california, there are actually MORE illegal immigrants than legal citizens. There are too many Hispanic people came here either legally or illegally, yearning for a better working opportunity. As such, whenever I go, I will hear a lot of people speaking in Spanish, rather than American style of English.

I met some other Hispanic baby-sitters from Mexico last week. They came here through all different means, carrying the only purpose to get paid in US dollars. According to them, Mexico is still a poor country and the workers do not get good salary. And, Hell yes, they get paid SO well here. One of the nannies work three days week, from 8am to 5pm. You know what? She receives 350 US dollars every single week! Another Hispanic nanny who is elder and about the age of my mum works four days a week and she receives 475US dollars a week!! WoW! Can you imagine that? I dont even dare to have a thought of my salary with them.. it's wayyyy too far away. After making friends with them, they are really surprised that I am University graduate of Malaysia ( which is not really a poor country) would travel so far away from home to babysit for Americans. For them, that's a crazy idea. I tried to explain to them that it's a culture exchange program, I will be studying in one local college, plus the sponsored holidays, stuff like that. Though, to them, it's the same..They just couldnt understand as The work I am having everyday is more or less the same, and actually heavier than theirs. In fact, in certain points, I couldn't even convince myself that there's a huge difference between me and them, too...

I don't wish to talk about my own things here. I am fed up with it and I am sure each and everyone of you do. The point is that there's really golden rain in US, which is a unresistable attraction for people from all over the world. They are willing to risk their lives, leave their families behind, just to work here. Besides the babysitting job, they can also get a HUGE amounts of tips to work in restaurants and some other service oriented departments. It's true, It's a MUST to give tips in US. My friend and I forked out 5 US dollars for one meals in the restaurants. That's really a lucrative business! No wonder. Everyday, there are swarms of people trying their very best to work in US.

Basically, I won't do that and I will never do that. If i drwa a comparison, I still prefer Malaysia but US relly has its own unique points. I am not those patrotic freaks but I really love my homeland as it's the place I truly feel myself belong to. US is a wonderful place to enjoy life, and to gain experience. For me, it's a plce for me to grow and learn. I really wish that I can study full time here, as a real student rather than doing the things I am doing right now. However, let's think from other aspects, it's really a good way to learn soemthing different though living with real Americans. Seeing the way they speak, they think, they eat, they laugh, they work. You will realise how weird they are.

No, the moon in California is not rounder, if compare to the one in Malaysia, I think the later is bigger and brighter. Actually, there's only one moon, it merely depends on the way you see it.

No, I don't believe the golden rains thing. It's subjective as some people think that the monetary aspect is the greatest attraction. To me, I prefer happiness, which I can achieve only via self- satisfaction and enjoyable lifestyle. That's the true GOLD, isn't it??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya, same as me...rather be a fulltime student here...n i miss msia as well.that nite was 'shi wu' the fistheen in the chinese calender (refer to mum),the moon is really round, n i think of the same saying....but i guess the moon is even rounder in my home country as the old saying end up with " close frens n family members around with u, make up a full round moon".

-KSY™®- said...

To me, the moon seen from M'sia is as round as seen from anywhere. happy is the most important critiria. However, it is the most difficult to get. Hopefully, all of us can find our happiness in our lives..

study as a full time student is wonderful.. the life is so "happening"~ 不在乎天长地久,只在乎曾经拥有。Put the past behind & look forward. maybe u will study master or PHD in future. but, the life will never be that 'happening' as before.

Chloe said...

Haha, surely hometown is the best place...no matter where you're.

Always think from the bright side, at least now you get to experience the American lifestyle, which we in the past can only get a glimpse of in sitcoms or movies. At least you've been abroad for once in your lifetime. At least you get to see different things and know different people, like those Spanish babysitters you met. At least you still get to enjoy the fun of studying at the moment.

Btw, who doesn't encounter hardships in life? We have our fair share of not-so-good experiences here, too. But happy ones are what we keep in mind. So, just be strong and stick to whatever you believe in. Also, one year will be past in no time. Think of seeing your beloved family and friends again as the motivation to keep you going.

season said...

linly, yong, chloe,

hey. nice to receive yours comments. thanks.
Malaysia is really the best. you guys know what? i went to Los Angeles for quite a few times, almost every weekend. It's amazing coz when I was in the University, i can could only hear our GREAT Professor talking about LA. And, now I almost go there every weekend. Oh, what I want to say is, LA is VERY much similar to KL. Really... that's the place I feel very much like home. I will be fine.. thanks for urs concern. really. I have an answer for myself and I will be fine. I am sure
see you guys. bye. :)