Tuesday, November 04, 2008

M&M


With the winning of numerous Grammy Awards, this Michigan-bred white rapper was recognized as the best amongst the best in the predominantly black Hip-Hop world. My black friends did not find him impressive but many white girls and 'Wigga-wannabe'(call me a racist! I don't give a damn) are crazy about him. I am not an expert in any genre of the music so I am not in the position to commend or critisize. I am not sure if he is always the best, though Marshall Bruce Mathers III aka Eminem;the miracle created by Dr Dre, is definitely my all-time-favourite.

I used to be a pure sentimental songs lover, anything besides sweet, slow and mellow music would drive me insane. Of course, I heard about Eminem-the talented white rapper ever since I was a teenager. However, I read more about his controversial personality, traumatizing chilhood, criminal backgroud and some other socially unaccepted behaviours. As such, I stereotyped him as another white trash who highlighted violence and sex as the unique selling point in his songs, poisoning the mind of the ignorance.

Chloe was the one who opened the door for me. Few years ago, she showed me the real Slim Shady's world. The music maestro keeps track of all those superstars' movements and Eminem happend to be one of her preffered artist. After her constant persuasion, I agreed to give it a try. His first song that I listend to was 'Cleaning out my closet'. Seriously, I found the music to be interesting. Immediately, I looked up the lyrics and I thought it was amazing. Ever since then, I got his CDs and started listening to them, exploring them one by one. I would be dishonest if I were telling you that all of his songs are wonderful. Frankly speaking, in my opinion, not all of them are great but I will conclude him as a rapper with strong verbal energy. Most of his songs had portrayed high quality of lyricism.

From his first album,'Infinite(1996)' to his coming 'Relapse(2008)', there had been an obvious transition of his music style. Insisting to ditch the shadows of other famous rappers away, he released his second album, 'The Real Slim Shady LP(1999)', which was totally exuding his astonish talent and personality. I could feel it when there is a true shocking memory behind a song; the painful hate-the-world vent and grumble can be the best mechanism to wash away your frustration in time.

The list of his songs that tickle my fansy: 'Cleaning out my Closet', 'Mocking Bird', 'Stan', 'The Kid', 'Like Toy Soldier', 'Hailie's Song', 'Lose yourself', 'My Name Is', 'Kim', 'Superman', 'Mosh' and recently-new-favourite-'White American'.

Chloe said she liked Eminem in suit, wearing glasses, looking hot and polite. I like it, too. But, I prefer him tearing off his tie and suit, showing off his big T-shirt with logo and pants that are a minimum of 40 full sizes over his original size!

Yes, he has tattoos. He got married for two times and divorced for two times with the same woman. He might be a druggie and alcoholic. He might be suffering from many forms of mental disorders and he could be the worst you ever got in this world.

Screw that! Who cares? At least he produces good music and he has been true to himself.

2 comments:

Chloe said...

I'm no music maestro... but I do like Eminem in suits and glasses, heh

season said...

oh. then u are en entertainment maestro. hehe. he is cool. <3 his musicc. yeahh..