Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Mommy and Granpa

Even though I am residing in New York right now, but still, I call my mom on a daily basis. Most of the time, we don't have anything in particular to talk about, just chatting about some regular stuff. In fact, I just want her to feel safe and knowing that I am still alive in this foreign land.

Last week, she told me that grandpa was admitted to the hospital again. The doctor said he was infected by the virus of Tuberculosis. The news struck everybody. No wonder, he has been losing his weight since last year. No wonder, he has no appetite at all. No wonder, he always has problems with his health. It's a spreading disease. Luckily, the illness was discovered earlier, so he is supposed to be alright after 6 months of medication treatment. Who knows? The prescription of medicine causes serious side effect. He couldn't stop throwing up after eating them. After the ruthless torture, a fragile old man who's 81 years old like him, is truly a skeleton right now. It breaks everybody's heart. My family members wonder if he could make it again this time.

Mommy asked me to pray hard. She noted, "You pray for him. He has to live for another few years since he has been doing good deeds, helping each and everybody out. He wants to live for at least another three years, too, to see you coming home with a master degree. You are always an apple in his eyes..."

My heart sank. I couldn't find any Chinese temple here in Long Island. I prayed in my heart and on my knee...Please God, if you exist...

Maybe in someway my prayer was answered. A moment ago, through the conversation with mom over the phone, I got to know that granpa is in the ward again as he couldn't even take a sip of water. Fortunately, after being sent to the hospital, his condition had improved. Doctor said that he just need to stay in the hospital for some days, until his rejection toward the medication gone. According to my other aunts, granpa is getting better. At least, he starts taking liquid food and the side effects has been decreasing. That's a good sign. I feel relief a little bit...just a little bit though...

Hang on, Papa. You really HAVE to wait for me...

Meanwhile, mommy told me that my dad and her framed another huge photo of mine in the graduation ceremony, picturing me receiving the certificate from a particular minister in Malaysia. That's a picture I retrieved from my previous univesity before leaving for US.

She said, "We have moved the clock from the wall of the second living room to the primary sitting room. Right now, the wall of the second living room is occupied by all of your graduation photoes and ours family photoes. They are all put in nice frames. I have to look at it every morning before leaving for work. Then, browse through each and everyone of them again before turning in...

"I have to do that when I think of you..."

I was speechless for a couple of minutes. The air seem to freeze at the moment.

Then, I replied, "I wish that we can hang another photo of me receiving my master degree against the wall after going home."

Mom laughed.

Tears trickling down from the corners from my eyes.

An unseen homesickness is burning me inside.

I will be home, after getting what I want. For you, me and everbody. :)

3 comments:

Linly said...

Chia, I know this is tough... and i do not know how to comfort u... i'll pray for ur grandpa too... stay strong and cheer up... for me, for ur papa, ur mom,for everyone who care bout u and most of all... for urself. Love ya.:)

Anonymous said...

he can make it through just for you - this is the human's super-natural power.

not only ur parents and ur granpa miss u so much. there is another guy in a small country miss u everyday, never lesser than the very first day since he likes u..

season said...

linly and h5n1,

thanks guys. he's feeling better right now. :) luckily. thanks god. :) he will be fine, i am sure, so do i.

thanks. :)