Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Mermaid

Picture taken from:www.harmanvisions.com/.../Mermaid-Nocturne.jpg

Recently, my friend, Lampfly published one post about her collection of books in her blog. She mentioned her first story book when she was a kid, "The mermaid". Well, at here I wanna clarify that it is nothing like the Disney's version of "The Little Mermaid". Basically, it's a very sad story, which is not supposed to be categorized as a kid's reading material.

I had the same book when I was like 6 or 7 years old. I still remember the cover of the story book, it was black and red in colour, with the picture of a mermaid, sitting at the seaside. It was a animation. The mermaid had long, thick and straight red hair. She sat at the shore, looking at the endless deep blue sea. It was only a cartoon. Though, her face exuded a kind of vulnerability, radiating with an unknown helplessness...

In general, the plot of the story lingers between the mermaid and a handsome prince. The mermaid was the utmost stunning princess under the sea. She had the sweetest voice in the sea and her mellow voice could melt anyone's heart easily.

One day, without permission, she sneaked out from the palace and swam to the surface of the sea. Accidentally, she met the drowning prince who was in coma. She saved the prince and fell in love with him. Though, she was a creature underwater so it's impossible for her to stay with the prince. A such, she traded her precious voice with a witch for human's legs so that she could stay with the prince as a human being on ground.

Sadly, when the prince saw her, she was mute. Neither could she express her feeling nor telling the prince that she was the one who saved him. At last, the prince married another princess from other country. The mermaid was heartbroken. Actually, she could have gone back to her previous life as a mermaid, if she stabbed the prince at the heart. However, due to the love she had for him, she chose to turn into bubbles, vanishing under the sunlight in the wide blue sky.

I had discussion with my friends before. None of us agree that it's a good story for children. Well, let's take an example, those who read the story, like me and my friends was really upset and had a hard time got it over. Yes, too much for innocent kids like us. Now I am 22 years old, it's like 15 years ago. But, I still remember the colours, the pictures and the story clearly. Obviously, it carved my heart.

Frankly speaking, I used to hate the story. I really detest the story where the guy didn't know the scrifice made by the girl and then ended up falling in love with someone else. It's just too DAFT, hated it. Anyhow, after my friend's post, I left a kinda hateful comment and then I spared sometime to think about it...Well, I guess I love the story from the bottom of my heart or else I won't remember it until today. And, why the fairy tale stories must have the happily ever after ending always? Who made the rules? Isn't it good for the mermaid to vanish like bubbles quietly since the prince didn't really love her?

Like what Lamfly said, we can never assume that the sacrifice that we made always commensurate with the pay that we get...especially when things related to humans and relationship. hmmm...Make sense, right?

The tale was sad, it's the same to reality, isn't it? There are too many mermaids around us..These mermaids are pretty young girls who would do anything for the one they think they love.

Anyway, I guess I am safe. Not me, I am like...born without special affection in certain aspect... Is that good? Maybe... We shall see.

2 comments:

lampfly said...

"The Mermaid" is kind like hunting us. Hehe. I lost that book for some years, but the story still vividly stored in my memories. I can tell every single pictures inside the particular book. They are unforgettable!!

season said...

hmm.. yup. you right. how could we ever able to forget that bloody pathetic story??hmm.. not nice.. the mermaid was sooo pretty. hahah. and her voice was precious. that's the weapon for mermaid isn't it? :p hehe. anyway. nvm. part of the unforgettable childhood memory.

:)
loveya.
see you soon.