Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Michael Clarke Duncan


Birth name
Michael Clarke Duncan

Date of birth (location)
10 December 1957(Chicago, Illinois, USA)

Nickname
Hollywood Big Mike

Height
6' 5" (1.96 m)


Mini biography
Raising by his single mother on Chicago's South Side, Michael grew up resisting drugs and alcohol, instead concentrating on school. He wanted to play football in high school, but his mother wouldn't let him, fearing he would get hurt. He then turned to acting, dreaming of becoming a famous actor. After graduating from high school and attending community college, he worked digging ditches at Peoples Gas Company in Chicago.
When he quit his job and headed to Hollywood, he landed small roles while working as a bodyguard. Michael's role in the movie Armageddon(1998) led to his breakthrough performance in The Green Mile(1999), when his Armageddon co-star Bruce Willis called director Frank Darabont, suggesting Michael for the part of convict John Coffey. He landed the role, receiving critical acclaim for his performance.
(All information above taken from http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003817/)
(photo taken from http://www.hollywood.com)
In fact, I don't really like to blog about celebrities as there are too many amazing actors or actresses in this planet. Majority of the Hollywood's superstars are glittering in the colourful world, radiating own subtle charm. It is pretty hard for me to have any particular preferrences. By the way, I don' believe that a 'showbiz outsider' like me is able to give out any impartial comments. Nonethelss, after watching the movie-'The Green Mile', I think I have to write something on the character of 'John Coffey', acted by the big guy as mentioned above.
(photo taken from http://www.triviana.com/film/ gfilm/greentwo.JPG)
Basically, the story is rooted at the friendship between John Coffey (Michael Duncan), who was accused of killing two little girls and Paul Edgecomb (Tom Hanks), the head guard on Death Row. Edgecomb wasn't really convinced that Coffey would be the killer because besides his gigantic body, he was naive, kind, soft-spoken, timid and obedient. The utmost important thing was, his eyes exuded a kind of simplicity or artlessness, like a helpless kid. (Duncan is incredibly outstanding! I really don't know how he did it! Gosh!)
Later, Edgecomb and his colleuges realised about Coffey's gifted supernatural healing and predicting power. Coffey's warm and innocent heart led the guards into a deeper level of humanity's values. Though, at the same time, the ethical dilemma. He saved a lot of people and punished those deserved. By using his power, Coffey lent Edgecomb his eyes so that he could get the truth. But, there was a price he need to pay. He would live eternally, seeing all the beloved one leaving him one by one.
Edgecomb resigned to his lot as he felt that it's a kind of punishment he gained for sending a good guy to the death path and eliminating the God's will...
It is truly a master work as it doesn't only focuses at the two main characters above, there are a lot of stories that are not directly related to each other, but they were combined in a perfect manner by the director.
Hey, Chloe, this blog is all about spoilers! :P hehehe. I love the movie, I love it a lot. I love Michael Duncan. He is truly amazing, he is a genius. I can't forget his eyes, the way the tears rolled down from his big and penetrating eyes. It's like a kind of sadness or begging he had in his heart; it's like he was searching for a missing pieces when he looked into your eyes...It is an extreme contrast with his huge and strong body, but it works WELL!
This flim reflects too many about human nature. I was really touched and i felt like giving Coffey a warm embrace. I wouldn't let off so that his sorrow and pain, he had been gaining for the passing years, would be healed or eased.
I love the quotes:
Edgecomb: "Your name is John Coffey?"
Coffey: "Yes sir boss. Like the drink, only not spelled the same."
One day before sitting on the electric chair, Coffey told Edgecomb, "I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of not ever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?"
Yes. Coffey. I undestand. You have the kindest soul in the world, Michael Duncan has shown us your spirit and soul...
Bravo!

2 comments:

Chloe said...

Hehe, watched this before, so do not mind any spoiler...I love Tom Hanks' character in this, very flesh and blood :) can't wait to get on Robert Langdon's adventure (altho I know these two are not related), haha!

Anonymous said...

Chloe,
haha, i prefer Michael Duncan lah. hehe. he is the soul of the film.:P haha anyway, i love greenmile!!hahah yeah! give me five.