Wednesday, January 04, 2006

WoW (3)

3. Carl

Here’s the greatest tutor when I was having my high school days! He taught me Bahasa Malaysia (Malay Language) and I had to attend his class in tuition centre 3 hours per week. Carl was the most well-known BM tutor at that period of time and he wouldn’t simply accept any students without knowing their ability in that language. He used to assure his student that all of us could score an A if we follow what he asked us to do.

Like what I have mentioned before, I love languages, including BM. I aimed to achieve an A1 in the coming SPM examination so I followed all his words and advises. I underwent a ‘devil’ type of training and worshipped him like a God because he was really the best tutor for me at that period of time. His knowledge and skill in essay writing was really marvellous! Finally, after all those hard work, I scored an A1 in BM. I was rejoicing. The first thing I did after taking my result was to call my tutors and thank them deeply. But, for Carl, I would like to thank him personally by showing him my result.

So, the next day, I went to the tuition centre to meet him. It was a hot day and I sweated a lot. My body was sticky but I was really happy thinking of showing my most respectable tutor my result. He was having a class in the tuition centre; I did not want to interrupt him so I waited outside the class for 45 minutes without air-con and fan under the hot temperature just to get him during the short class’s break.

Lastly, I got him with me for about 5 minutes. He remembered me and I proudly show him my result slip while telling him that I scored an A1 in BM.

“Sir, thank you very much. You help me to score an A1 in BM. I am really lucky to have you as my tutor. Thank you soooo much!”

He replied, “Nope, it’s all your hard work. I teach you and you are willing to strive hard for yourself. So how many A’s do you get in SPM? 8, 9 or 10?”

I was shocked. Awkwardly, I told him that I was only able to score 5 As and planning to apply and study in a private college. His response was somewhat irritating as he turned into a cold face after knowing that I was only a 5As achiever.

“Why applying private college? Why not local universities? You can try to apply UTM. UTM will accept 5As achievers, if not then study form six. It is always better to study in local universities!”

I said, “But I am interested in mass communication rather than anything else. I was a science student so I wouldn’t be able to change my major if I were to further my education in local universities.”

His last sentence and action were devastating. He said, “Oh I see.” After that, he just walked away, without even saying a goodbye or looking at me twice.

The story isn’t good because it ended with me walking alone on the street, with my mind that had his last few words replaying, over and over again. I was really too naïve to imagine that he will be overjoyed for a student who scored A1 in his subject and then went back to thank him personally.

After all, he granted me a chance to see through human nature. Ya, it was my fault; I wasn’t a 10 or 11 As scholars, what for thanking him? However, I am still grateful for having him as my tutor. Without him, I guess I won’t be able to get an A1 so easily. There is something that I have wanted to yell at him since years ago:

“Sir, I am not the best achiever, neither do I entering local university nor taking STPM. But, I am doing perfectly fine in my current private university and I will be getting a bachelor degree very soon, at the age of 21!” :P

3 comments:

Chloe said...

Walau, so shallow one...btw, 5As is pretty good already what...and trust me, results are not the one that determine your success. See, you're doing REALLY GREAT here, even GREATER than your peers in local U, I believe.

I still think that it's all your hard work that earns you an A1 in BM :)

season said...

hahahha, thank you loh. :-P you are doing good too. yeah.. but i really have to thank him anyway.:) thanks for your encouragement. :P

EAN said...

hello.