Wednesday, January 04, 2006

WoW (1)

Wow! It has been ages since I last uploaded the only post in my blog. No choice, I am having my final year now so the schedule is tight. ;-P since I have promised my dear friend to upload something after completing my chapter 3&4 in thesis, definitely I have to realise it. At here, I am dedicating this post to my friend- Chloe.

There is nothing special about this post, I just wanna share some of my memories in my journey of pursuing education. Wait, let me count, I started to enter the ‘garden’ of school since I was six years old. Now I am 21, so… 21-6=15! Waw! I have been studying for 15 years. What a long period of hard time? Ya, the years gone by are tough, however, I am sure that each and every one of us gained a lot of constructive and functional knowledge, which allow us to achieve the so-called ‘dreams’! Anyway, I think that the most influential people throughout our learning life are teachers, tutors and lecturers. I have a lot of experiences with this group of people because I was that kind of very ‘Kiasu’ kid. I used to have numerous tuition classes to attend to when I was having my elementary and secondary education. My schedule was tight and my life was hectic as once I even attend three different tuition centres at one time to sharpen up my English! Haha, let’s don’t beat around the bush, OK! The stories of the great educators begin…

1. Alice
She was my form teacher when I was in the Agape Kindergarten. There was nothing special about her outward appearance. She looked homely and appeared as a typical housewife who was thoughtful and sympathetic. One day, Alice called the students out to elaborate on our academic performance. Unluckily, that day wasn’t my day. Before entering the morning class, I played with my little friends in the surrounded playground and I accidentally stepped on something that wasn’t supposed to. So, when I took my seat, my friends around me kept on saying that they smelt something terrible. I felt guilty but I acted like nothing had happened and followed the crowd to complaint. Later, when my name was called by Alice, I was nervous as I worried that she might find out the ‘source’ of the awful smell, so I decide to get rid of that piece of nasty material stacked under my shoes by grinding the shoe’s heel against the ground when she was asking me questions about my study and revision at home. (What a brilliant idea for a six-year-old kid??)

Suddenly, she said,” what’s that smell? Did u step on something?”

At once, the noise of my classmates rose, “oh! She is the one who stepped on Dog Shit! No wonder the smell is nasty!”

“Hahaha, Dog Shit! Dog Shit, she stepped on Dog Shit!!”

Even though I was only six but my ego was strong. This led me to nervousness and totally embarrassment. Sweats came rolling down from my forehead and I was shaking. Deep inside my young and fragile heart, I could hear myself yelling, “I don’t want! I don’t want people to laugh at me, Mama!!”

Later, Alice had a glance at my shoes and took me outside the classroom. She asked me to grind against the green grasses and sand to get rid of the dirty thing. After that, I dared not going back to my own seat, Alice then led me back to my seat and told the whole class to keep their mouth shut. Her face was red. It was the first and the only time I saw her getting so furious.

She yelled at the class, “There is nothing funny for those who stepped on animals’ excrement; there was no reason for you all to laugh!”

Finally, the whole class turned into complete silence and none of my classmates mentioned anything about dog or shit again.

Her stern face at that moment carved an everlasting mark in my heart. That was the first time; I had my little ego and self- esteem being protected by my very first teacher.

2 comments:

Chloe said...

Finally, after what that seems like eternity, I got to read your second post entry, how relieved and glad I am! :D

Ok, firstly, I am soooooo damn honoured to see my name here, not to mention that you dedicated this post to me!!! Thanks a lot, friend!

Secondly, aww...if only I had teachers like Alice! Sounded very considerate and kind ;) God, it seemed like I only have dreadful teacher in my kindegarten years, the one who show TOTAL bias to her niece, who happened to be one of our classmates, damn!

hoho, so little 6-year-old Darlene already possessed strong ego hor ;)

season said...

chloe:

paise leh.. haha, havent updating my blog for such a loong long time.. :-) sure lah, everyone has their ego what, including a little 6 years old kid. :P i have to admit that the teachers in kindergarten years would have great influence on children. :> luckily i have Alice! yeah!! it's ok what! nvm nvm, you had a not-that-pleasant kindergarten teacher but i am sure you are having a lot of great lecturers right now what!! :P cya!