Wednesday, January 04, 2006

WoW (2)

2. Betty

She had a great influence on me during my elementary level. Betty was my form teacher when I was in my standard 4, 5 and 6. I am not sure if I should say I like her but she is definitely an influential educator that enables me to grow.

I have a fancy for writing and languages since I was just a kid. Unfortunately, I was in the top class during my primary level. For your information, my primary school is the most prominent school in my little hometown. There have been representatives for all sorts of competitions outside the school and most of the students do well by gaining victory. Yes, I am trying to tell you all that I was one of those representatives, but seriously, nothing glamour.

As a matter of fact, I had been sent for all types of competition in writing, languages, calligraphy and even drawing. I have to admit that I did well most of the time by bringing back trophies but there were times I failed. Certainly, Betty wasn’t happy about it, she specially arranged other representatives and me in a group and asked some other teacher to teach us on Chinese literature, calligraphy and even essay writing during the schooling hours. So, obviously, we couldn’t have the same schedule as what others did that time. I was under a lot of stress because I had been chosen to represent quite a few competitions at the same time while having the obligation to maintain my academic performance. It was really hard. I used to do my homework and those extra exercises plus my tuition’s homework until 1 or 2 am. It was really unhealthy for a kid who was growing both mentally and physically. My mum was kinda worried. She accompanied me to do my stuff until I completed them all and even did some of them for me when I had to memorize Chinese literature while preparing final exams.

Frankly speaking, I lived in the hell! At last, I couldn’t take it anymore and broke down in front of my mum. She had tears in her eyes while telling me to quit participating in several competitions. What I did was I purposely screwed up my calligraphy class by writing them badly. Besides, I also stopped handing in my ‘extra’ exercises by giving the excuses that I couldn’t do them well and I wanted to quit some contests. As a result, Betty was furious. She scolded me badly and punished me with her cane until it scraped the skin of my palm (I am not exaggerating! It was quite common for teachers to slap or caned students harshly in my school that time).

Meanwhile, Betty also picked on my hand writing. She said I had a terrible handwriting and it could be a diseasethat could spread. As such, for other students’ sake, she got to ‘quarantined’ me from others. Sound unbelievable? Better believe it. Betty changed the seats by transferring my best friend who sat beside me that time. I was traumatized over that incident. It was the first time for me to realise the sense of being boycotted. I was lonely and helpless. As a school kid who were vulnerable and innocent, it is turmoil! However, the only lucky thing was the quitting of those contests turned out to be a success and Betty didn’t really pick on me again after the seat-changing thing.

Some of you might think that she is really a prick! I do not find myself liking her as I still couldn’t understand what made her to act so ruthlessly toward an obedient and over-pressured kid? Anyway, I want to tell you all about her because she actually aided me to develop my talent which I wouldn’t aware without her guidance, but, ya, in a relentless way. :-)

2 comments:

Chloe said...

If Alice is an angel, then Betty should be the devil.

She's a classic example of teachers who only have trophies and more trophies in her eyes while paying no attention to the kid. I wonder if she treats her kids the same way?

Yes, usually, some bad parts of an experience often do some good to us, and I'm glad that you realise this. She didn't manage to bring you down :)

season said...

chloe:
haha, hey, she is not a devil! just abit evil!! :-P anyway i am pretty sure that she was under a lot of stress too. teachers normally would pressure the student after being stressed by the principal! we must be considerate what. canot pointing the fingers at others before knowing the real situation.:-P haha nvm.. it is a great grandmother story.. :-)thank for lending me your eyes!