Monday, April 23, 2007

Americanization

In my previous post, I mentioned about Americanization, which literally means the assimilation into American culture. Well, au pairs stay with typical American families, as such, we have to get use and most of the time adapt to those rich Americans' lifestyle.

When I was in the college, I studied about the intruding of American culture to the entire world, especially fast-developing country like Malaysia. The projection of American lifestyle throughout the mass media has brought huge impact toward people around the world. The way we think, act, and lead our life is basically different from our parents. Though, I wasn't fully convinced, regarding the way majority of the people in US lead their life. Do they really can't live without Starbuck, pizza and beer? Are they really crazy and that open-minded? Teeny boppers here are really party animals? Are they all slack?

Bah.. All generalization. I used to think that.

After staying with them for like 7 months. hmmm.. from what I have heard, seen, and experienced, some of the points are true. :P Not all though.

Yes. They can't live without Starbuck, pizza and beer! Protocol, right? hehe. We sorta disucssed about it before. My host mom told me the same thing, too. They are like the basic needs besides shelter. :p

Though, not all of them are that open-minded. But, majority of them are, espcially the younger generation. Wow, they engage in a lot of crazy stuff which are totally unacceptable in Asian social context. :p Anyway, it doesn't matter, it's their norm.

Slackers? erm.. Not really.. But, they do have a lot of advanced technology to help them in daily routine life. They can't survive without washing machine and dryer due to the changing of seasons. Besides, the utmost important machine they MUST have in the house is 'Dishwasher'. Yes, Americans won't do dishes. Never ever! It's a very silly thing for them.

I remember once, I was washing a cup as the dish washer was running. The boy, William came to me and asked, "Chia, what you doing?"

I replied, "Washing this cup.."

He said, "Nawww.. I couldn't believe it, why are you doing this? We don't do this in US. We put it into dishwasher, we never wash them.." 0_o

Hmmm.. Just a cup, but they don't even bother to wash and rinse through it... hahahha. It was funny though.

In fact, not only them, au pairs like us also couldn't imagine the life without dishwasher. Protocol, the utmost wonderful au pair who cooks for her entire host family claimed that, "I will die without it..."

The other South African au pair said, "The first thing I want to do after getting back to Africa will be buying a dishwasher for my mom.."

Another Thai au pair said, "I will never cook anything without dishwasher..."

See, we are all spoiled by the technology...

Remember when we were home? We baked cakes, we fried rice and noodles, we boiled eggs, we steamed rice...Afterwards, we washed the dishes with detergen, sponge and our hands! It was tiring but we didn't complain cause that's the way it supposed to be.

Now, we all need that dishwasher so badly. Well, dishwashers are being sold in some electrical applicance shops in Malaysia but it's not popular at all. Like what my friend said, "Asians will never use dishwasher, they wash with their hands manually.." :/

I called Protocol a lazy pig when she said that she will definitely buy one dishwasher when she got home. However..I start to realize the importance of the machine...

First, loaded the dishwasher with pots, plates, spoon, forks, bowls, cups, glasses, pan, bottle or whatever you name it in order, according to the particular spaces provided and common sense. Then pour in the dishwasher detergen or powder.

Then, press a button and close it. After two hours, you can just take the clean and dry dishes out. Place them back to the cabinets accordingly. That's it, done. Awesome isn't it?


Yeah!It functions exactly like a washing machine. User-friendly but very water-consuming.

Buying one?? ermm.. maybe.. mommy, you would love to have one right? :P Love you.

4 comments:

Linly said...

Hahaa... Chia, i really think of buying one as well... I love to experience cooking new food but i hate washing and cleaning... Hehee... but then, to be frank, dish washer din really washed clean enuff!!...So wat m i talking about? Hahaa....I'll still wan it...unless i've get someone who is willing to clean up my mess..:P

Chloe said...

To be honest, I love washing dishes, in fact, more than cooking, kekezzz...Dunno ler, juz feel a sense of achievement after washing piles of dishes ;p

Zoe said...

I HATE TO WASH DISHES!!! and i have told my mom I will buy her a dish washer after i back and she seems like quite happy about it. :P after i have my life with this machine, then only I realise that i actually love to cook. Jz that i am so lazy to clean up especially washing dishes!! that will drive me crazy. but linly is right, its not that clean sometimes... anyway, still a very good machine for me! wakakaka... i cant imagine my life here without it..

season said...

linly, chloe, ZOE,

hmm. then.. now.. conclusion all of us go and buy dishwasher!!! except Chloe.. wash with ur hands... :P hehe.. SILLY. yo.