Monday, February 11, 2008

China Town and Chinese New Year

Just like the China Town in New York City, Boston and Washington DC, the China Town in Los Angeles is messy and dirty, too. I talked to some friends about it some time ago, we thought that maybe it is a trait of Chinese people?! Oh really? I don't know. At least I am not like that.

Though, no matter how terrible it is, China Town is always a place for me to find a sense of homeliness. I just like to see people with the same skin color walking by, talking the same languages as I do and hopefully getting some food which is similar to what I had in Malaysia.

We set off at noon and get stucked in the heavy traffic for 2hours. Yeah, cursed the traffic in LA. It reminds me of KL, actually it is worse that KL. Anyways, after getting stucked for two whole hours, we still couldn't get there because all of the exits to China Town was closed as there was a Chinese New Year Parade going on. So, screwed that. We got off another exit to hunt for Hong Kong food. Then, we got back to China Town in the evening. Most of the shops were closed so wasn't able to really witness the real busy scene of Chinese New Year.

But, I still think that I have to at least visit some place for the Chinese New Year so I walked around the dark and quiet China Town, looking for nothing in particular but something that I would feel familiar with.

That's what I have found that night:

Fake lion-dancing that was hilarious and idiotic by some Mexicans and White people.

The China Town at night.

The lonely red lanterns in the dark frasty sky.

I guess I feel more lonely. I need to go home, I mean it.

3 comments:

Linly said...

I m home dear... but i don feel like i belong to my home country, anymore... not anymore like the past... not even belongs to anywhere else... no where... no place... no one... i lost my soul, Chia... im not sure if i can still hang on... I'm almost there... giving up. :...(

Anonymous said...

Home is always there waiting for you. It will only be in different location, but not disappear. If at point of time you want to back home, the doors are opened and welcome you..

season said...

linly,

hmm. life seems to be still hard for you but just try to think at the bright side and see what you are having now. maybe u should identify ur own feeling, like what make u miss US so much? is it the au pair life? the freedom here or the country and people in general? access the feelings and make the right decision. if u are really that miserable there, maybe it's time to change. come back here then. we are always here, at least zoe is always here.

hmm. love u.
muaks.